Thursday, September 13, 2012

Painted Bottle Tutorial

I am so sorry it's late, But here it is finaly! TA-DAA!

Painted Bottle Tutorial.
What you need.
a Clean glass bottle or vase(I used a beer bottle)
White flat color spray paint, gesso, or white acrylic paint
makeup sponge(not needed if your using white spray paint)
acrylic paints in the colors you want(matt or shiny,it doesan't matter)
paint brush
water
paper towel or old rag
paint pen for outline
Krylon gloss clear spray, or other brand of indoor/outdoor clear gloss spray
newspaper to protect your work space

1. piant your clean,dry bottle with the gesso, or white acrylic paint. you can spray paint it instead, which is what I did.sometimes I use Gesso, and I just dab a thin coat on with the makeup sponge. It takes about three coats of paint.you want your bottle completly covered so that your colors stick better, and with a white base you won't have to paint so many coats of acrylic paint later, when your adding colors to your design.
2. After the paint is dry, you can use a paint marker to draw on your design. I always draw my design very messy, because I usaully change something later. The outlines are just so I have something to start with. You don't have to draw out your design,if you just want to paint it as you go.

TIP: DO NOT use sharpie markers to draw your design, because they bleed through the paint later when you spray it with the gloss spray. Also they can't be used to outline either because they bleed,and blur.(tutorial on how to use sharpie so they don't bleed coming soon)Let the paint pen dry before going to the next step.
 
3. After the paint pen marks have dried you can begin painting in your design with acrylic paint.Diffrent brands of paint have difrent consistencies, usaully the cheaper the paint, the more coats you will need to get a true color.I usaully use apple barrel or Folk art.(Apple Barrel coats good, and is thin.Folk Art is thicker so your paint marks will show up textured)
Apply one color at a time so that the colors dont blend, unless that is the look you are going for.
 
4.When the first color is dry you can move on to the next, and so on until you have your bottle completly painted.there are two ways to do this, one you can put one coat of color, and wwhen dry move on to the next, which is what I did, then later when you have the first coat of colors down go back over the colors until they look solid. second you can apply a second, and third, and forth if needed of the same color letting each coat dry in between. both ways work.
 
 5. After the paint is completly dry, you can use your paint pens to outline your design, if you want.you might need to go over the outline a few times. let it dry between each time.


6.This step is usaully when I go back through and do any touch ups. just make sure all the paint is completly dry before moving on to the next step.

7. Now it's time to spray your bottle with the gloss spray. Hold the spray can about 12 inches away from your bottle and spray evenly all the way around.Avoid spraying to much gloss because it will drip and leave drip marks when dry. I usaully spray a very thin coat the first time, just to fix the paint to the bottle. You will need to spray three or four coats. Let each one dry about 5 hours in between coats. The gloss should not be sticky to the touch, thats when it is dry enough to spray another coat.If you hold the spray can too close to the bottle it will make air bubbles that will stay, after it's dry.after the last coat of spray let it dry overnight before using it.

TIP: Humidity sometimes makes the gloss paint a little tacky, so if you are giving this as a gift or storing it , wrap the bottle in wax paper so that it is protected. do not wrap it in cloth, or newsprint, or unwaxed paper without first wrapping it in wax paper. I had a few wrapped in felt, and the felt stuck to the gloss finish and my bottles were completly ruined. wax paper is the only thing I have found that doesant stick. also the gloss will absorb the ink from newspaper.after you wrap it in wax paper you can wrap it in cloth to keep it from getting broken.
To clean your bottle you can use soap and water, and a soft sponge or rag. don't try to scrub it ith a brillo pad or other sharp objects.

Well thats it ! I really hope you liked this tutorial. My next tutorial will be how to use sharpie markers to make designs on your bottles so that they dont bleed when you spray them with the gloss.wheww!!
Have a great week, I will see you all very soon!

4 comments:

  1. Terrific tutorial. You have a good eye for color. Smart tip about using wax paper. I will try this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Debra, I am happy you like it, and as far as color, sometimes I will be atching tv, or in my car and I will see a color and it just grabs my attention and I have to use it in my next piece of art! LOL. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well explained... I m clear now. It's very helpful for me. Surely going to try it.
    Thnx for detailed tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well explained... I m clear now. It's very helpful for me. Surely going to try it.
    Thnx for detailed tutorial.

    ReplyDelete